The Start Of Vanlife

October 04, 2018


I have never really been a fan of houses. It's not the houses themselves, (I am truly grateful to be able to have a roof over my head) but they just cause so much stress and worry. Making sure rent is paid every month, then you have the bills on top. Spending all your life working just so you can own it.  I also feel trapped by houses, you are just stuck in one place with the same view. If you wanted to move around a lot its just more money and hassle.
This is why I love vanlife so much, not being rooted in one place. Having that freedom to just wake up anywhere you want. Meeting so many incredible people because you can visit different places, there is also a massive community out there just for vanlifers. You get to explore the place you live in in a completely different way, which makes you truly grateful.

Anyway, where I'm going with this is that I have finally joined the vanlife community, caravan style. Yes, that's right. I have moved out of the summer house and into a caravan. My new home until I get my actual van on the road. I am fully independent, I no longer have to go into the house to use the toilet and cook like I did in the summerhouse.


It took me only a week to revamp, I gave the walls and cupboards a good paint, added some decor and it was like a completely different van!. I started off with a multisurface primer and covered everything that I was going to paint, I only did a very thin layer as I had limited paint. I used white vinyl silk paint on the walls and satin paint on the cupboards. The vinyl silk was what we had left in the house and I managed to get a 5L pot of satin in the sale for £17. Both of which needed 3 layers, just to get rid of the brush makes.


By covering the cushions on both the bed and chairs it made it less dated. I don't have the time to properly upholster them but I got 2 throws and covered the chairs in the seating area and because my bed is permanently out, I'm able to cover the cushions with the duvet.
Then with some old decor from the summer house and a few new bits, I was able to make it feel like home.


All you need is a bit of creativity and anything is possible in life. By living in this caravan will also prepare me for true vanlife as I will be living in the van until then. 

If you would like to hear more about van life, caravan style then comment below and dont forget to follow. Until next time adventurers.

You Might Also Like

0 comments