My Summerhouse

June 28, 2018


I live in a summer house at the bottom of my garden. Yes, you heard that correctly. Okay so I still have to go into the house to make food, use the toilet and see the family but its a work in progress.

It all started when I came back from Costa Rica, I wasn't well anyway from the tropical disease (which is a post for another time) but I was so used to being more independent and going with the flow of life that coming back to a small house filled with loads of stuff, 3 other family members, 5 dogs and many other pets stressed me right out, I just didn't know what to do with myself. I got so worked up when people come over and coming home at night was also a nightmare trying not to wake up the family. But I carried on til only a few weeks ago. 


Me and my mum were sat in the garden and I just broke down, I was so unhappy with my life, I was depressed, stressed and just wanted to have my own space or be the other side of the world. I just want to add that it wasn't my family or pets that made me feel like this, I love them all so much and they are so supportive but if you suffer from mental health issues yourself then you will know that sometimes it just comes. My mum didn't like seeing me like this and then she mentioned me moving into the summer house, which my sister had. She used it as a art studio in the summer for her paintings as well as storage. My sister was happy to let me move in, she had my room upstairs and her old room is now her art studios. 

So that's what we did, with help from the family within a few days we had moved all the stuff out, painted it and then moved my stuff in. 

It has honestly made me so happy, I have my own space which is a stress free zone, its minimalistic and orgainsed but I'm only a few steps away from the house for the important things.
I am a lover of coffee so have a travel kettle with my enamel  mugs on the wall for quick access, I have electric and lighting. Everything I need and more!


Its perfect for me because I have more space then I need, the dogs can come up and see me when they are in the garden. My cat Kevin thinks he owns the place and meets me every day at the door or on the bed when I come home. I can wake up in the mornings, wake the sunrise if I'm up early enough with a cup of coffee and a good book. It really has helped my mental health. Now I can enjoy my time before Australia a bit more stressful. 
Even within the month or so that I've been up there, I have moved my stuff around, become minimalistic and there are still a few things that I would like to do to it but its all part of the fun. 



Summerhouse tour coming soon!


I shared the journey from art studio to bedroom on my instragram story, sophi3_xox

Just a quick note - we looked into planning permission etc for the summer house when the family built if for my sister to use as an art studio so yes i am allowed to "live" in it. Its also 100% safe, its not going to fall down on me. Its a proper building. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments