2 Days Solo - First night

June 12, 2018

Following on from Journey to the jungle, this post is all about the first night I spend in the hostel after my whole day of travelling.

Looking back on the 2 days I spend in Puerto Jimenez by myself does make me laugh. The first night I was completely out of my comforts zone and the 2 days solo were stressful, emotinal but honestly amazing at the same time, as well as strangely eventful which you will find out later (on this post and others to come)

So I am finally in my hostel room, and it was better then I thought, it was clean and tidy. there was a bed and a  warm shower which was honestly all that I cared about. It was all well and good but as you all know from the last post I didn't have my bag with me so I wasn't able to have a shower, change my clothes into something a bit more weather suited (why I thought it was a good idea to wear fleece joggers, I don't know) or anything. If you know me then you have properly already pictured what I was like, stood in my room, still in shock that I'm finally here in Costa Rica, still amazed that I even got here, sweating my tits off, my make up half way down my face due to this and not having a clue what to do next, so I got myself together and went for an amazing adventure... no, I sat on my bed and cried because as you have properly already guessed, I had no idea what the f*** I was doing!

After about 10 minutes and a few more messages to the family, I got up and went into the town to try and get a few things (because you know, its all still at the airport!). One thing I have learnt in the time I was crying was that I really needed more than a pair of underwear. I found a shop about 2 minutes walk from the hotel and got a few basic things, toothbrush, hair ties and some water. I didn't realise how much you could communicate with body language and hand gestures. 
I was so scared, what if someone tried to take my money or what if they couldn't understand me but I got back to the hostel.
 (I can tell you know the longer I was in Costa Rica the more I fell in love with Puerto Jimenez and by the end of my stay I was walking around that town like I had lived there for years)

When I got back I thought I would face time the family to show them the amazing place that I was staying at. Of course, I tidied myself up first though, they couldn't see me like that, especially my mum. She has always been so supportive of my crazy dreams. (I don't think anything I come out with any more surprises her) I just didn't want to let her down and for her to worry about me when I was 16 hours on a plane away!
I was stood by the gate which overlooked the beach when I heard some movement in the tree above, OMG this is it, this is the moment I see my first primate or exotic bird, that will make this whole day of stress worth it and my family would be here to see this beautiful animal with me!
A squirrel ran along the branch....
Yes, you read that right, a squirrel, just like what we get here in the UK, no bizarre markings or extra long tail, it just looked like a normal squirrel! You should have seen the disappointment on my face. Of course, the family just laughed and we said our goodbyes. I honestly did miss them but more because I wished they could have spent this amazing experience with me. By this time it was only 7pm but I was physically and mentally drained so I went to sleep.


Oh, and i thought it couldnt of got any worse...


You Might Also Like

2 comments